Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's


Little pieces of paper with catchy phrases; these are the things that make or break our valentine's day when we are children. You have spent the week prior to valentine's day making a decorated shoe box that will hold the cherished treasures. We spend endless hours painting with red and white paint, gluing dollies, ribbons and sticking stickers and we just can't forget the all important glitter.

Then a trip to the local store for the all important valentine cards, you don't want to end up with the generic ones....We all want the barbie, spiderman or other cool animated character of the times. Then you take the class list and match each card to each person. You save those really cool ones for the cool kids...You know "Your the coolest valentine, won't you say you will be mine?" Then there are one that say at least I don't hate you; "You are neat". When I was a kid the teacher always enforced the rule that everyone on the list was to receive a valentine, even Branch Haynes, who ate paste. Oh well at least you had the opportunity to give that special guy a valentine, with the added question on the back. I like you. Do you like me? Check yes or no. Then you waited to see if you were liked back.

Things have changed somewhat in the adult years, I am somewhat out of the loop when it comes to a day of romance. I have been single since 1999 and in a serious relationship for just under a year, so this is my first Valentine's Day in a very long time....No pressure; right? What do I do now? I ask around and find out that it is now acceptable to send flowers to men. I went for the potted miniature roses...He is a accomplished gardener. However I could not pass up the valentine card. Nothing flashy, just from the heart. The best part of the day is the receiving side, The delivery of truffles and a wonderfully sweet valentine card...That has the all important phrase, "I Love You". Not to mentioned the assorted goodies, from all the children at school and my girls, gave me a boxed heart of hershey's kisses and a card. Valentine's day has been nice, I would have liked an evening of romance in front of the fire....but things can only get better next year. Happy Valentine's Day!