Monday, September 04, 2006

FAMILY

Family, if we are blessed we come from "good stock". We all have them parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, sons, daughters and other extended family. Our lives are either enriched or cursed by them. What is the importance of family and why did the Creator of the universe decide that we each needed to have one. Why not allow us to be born into a pack or herd or some other such group of humans. Why not just let us live independently, alone without the need for others.

I believe that God in his infinite wisdom knew that families were the very best places for people. Think about it, who else would love you if your family didn't? Who accepts us for who we are? I don't know about you but my girls are the only ones who would tell me not to wear something cause it makes me look fat! They love me enough to be honest.

Families are places we are born, places we are adopted or places where our common desires and beliefs bind us together. I have a church family. They are people who care for me unconditionally and will help me in any situation. I have friends who are as close as family. If I ever needed them, no matter what time of day they would be there. Family are people who you would lay down your life for. They are the people we love and who love us even on the bad days.

Several years ago I was watching one of those reality shows Fear Factor and it was one where the contestants were couples. Four couples to be exact, two were married and the other two were in committed relationships. They were given a task the female partner was placed in a cage and the door had a lock; they were then lowered into a tank of water where the male partner had to jump in the tank and retrieve a series of keys and attempt to unlock the tank to free their loved one. Of the four couples two continued the task until finished and "rescued" their mate. The other two gave up and swam for air. Wondering which ones stayed to the end? The married ones, they were the ones who were willing to commit to love, honor and protect. I don't know if the other two couples went on to marriage, it would be interesting to know.

My point is families give us a purpose and a place to feel connected. They are people we can depend on and who can depend on us. God knew what he was doing when he created families. After all it was the first institution, even before the church.