Thursday, March 23, 2006

Beauty and the pursuit

In the heart of every woman is a little girl who once wished to be the "Princess". That beauty that was in need of rescue. The one that Prince Charming would risk his life to pursue. We live in a society where beauty is revered and desired, and where we would do almost anything to get it. Yet I am left with the feeling of falling short, of not being quite good enough as a woman. I am currently reading the book Captivating, by John and Staci Eldredge. I was struck by the following statement.


"I am not enough, and, I am too much at the same time. Not pretty enough, not
thin enough, not kind enough, not gracious enough, not disciplined enough. But
too emotional, too needy, too sensitive, too strong, too opinionated, too messy.
The result is shame, the universal companion of woman. It haunts us, nipping at
our heels, feeding on our deepest fear that we will end up abandoned and alone."



The book goes on to say that this is a mentality that causes us to feel like failures and if we could only manage to get our act together our lives could be better. It also goes on to say that this myth is perpetuated by society and the church. This book, which I am still reading, is a journey into the mysteries of a woman's soul. It so far has helped me to embrace my femininity and relish that I have been created in the image of God. I have a uniqueness that can make a difference in the lives of those I love. This is just an installment in a series as I grow and learn from this wonderful book, tune back and see my growth. You may wish to take your own journey, if so pick up this book and join me.