Monday, December 12, 2005

Just words on paper


I was thinking earlier about the written word. I love to read and enjoy writing, although I am not very good. There is just something about words on paper that moves the soul. It can bring agonizing pain, overwhelming joy, sorrow and tears. When I sit and read a well written story it takes me to another place and time. Letters of love and poems of devotion they are so beautiful.

I have been a life long reader, I love novels and magazines, newspapers and for that matter cereal boxes. I love reading others blogs. I find that each writer has a unique perspective on life. They have a sense of humor that just brings me to tears, and unfortunately the occasional snort. When I find something I enjoy, I make the trip daily to their place just to read something that will make me say, "hum". I find new thoughts to contemplate and wonderful adventures to go on. Dramas that can make me cry.

I feel somehow connected to the writer through his writing. It is similar to how I feel when I read God's word, the Bible. It draws me to him, into a place of loving communion. Where I feel safe and secure and able to open my soul in sweet surrender. I believe it was Martin Luther that said, "The pen, is mightier than the sword". Empires have crumbled, hearts have been won and lost by the pen.
Correction
If I could pass on aThe full quote is 'Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword,' by Edward Bulwer Lytton (1805-1873).

If I could pass on any gift, it would be the love of reading to those I love.