Saturday, May 19, 2007

Good Bye Norma Jean

Not actual home
As I sat painting the trim in the dining area of my daughter's new home, Good Bye Norma Jean is playing on the radio. I thought how odd that I am at this moment reliving the last 20 years. I think it is often true that certin events in life cause us to reflect and replay the past.

Today, I am thinking this is a song about a beautiful young woman in the the prime of her life who chose to leave the world behind for reasons we might never understand. I was struck by the fact as we are painting and cleaning and doing all the things necessary for my youngest daughter and her husband to move in to their first home and her Dad is not here to help her, he too chose to leave this world too soon. He missed out on so much in life, grandchildren, life events that you earn by growing old.

I also look at this tiny little home, in need of so much work and remember how it was to be young, in love and just starting out. How much we needed family to help with all the things a new home requires; or an old one, that is new to you! It was hard work painting walls, scraping trim, cleaning blinds and windows, but I loved seeing this place become the place where my daughter, her husband and their child will live, grow and learn to be a family. It was extremely satisfying work.

I was also stuck by how content I have become. I won't lie and say my life is where I want it to be, or even where I thought it would be...but I am truly happy. If this was how I was to spend the remainder of my days I would be o.k. Very tired; but o.k.!