Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday


Well after a much loved long weekend with Philip and My son, Jason and family I have been educated somewhat on Mardi Gras. I now know that Mardi Gras translates from the french to the english Fat Tuesday. It is the feast before the fast and supposedly is the last indulgence prior to lent. I would have to say from what I can see it is an overindulgence. I also hear that many believe it has its beginnings in the ancient Greek and Roman orgies.


All I know is that there are many parades, beads and outrageous behaviors. Philip has actually been to Mardi Gras in Mobile and says the parades are really great. My experience is with watching them on the local channel out of Mobile and I don't think I would enjoy the crowds.
The flip side of the craziness is the calmness of being with those I love. Philip and I enjoyed a drive from Milton over the Garcon bridge to Gulf Breeze and into Pensacola back through Pace and home. It was a nice drive, although very windy but just time with those you love is a wonderful thing. I was privileged to see Ethan and his class at school. He is adjusting and doing well, however as the Director of a private school, I know that children do much better when parents and grandparents give them some independence, however as a grandmother, I just needed to see for myself he was in a good place and doing well.
Well I will have to wait for the next break to see my beloved Philip and spend time with JE, Ashley and the grandbabies. However this weekend will warm my heart until we meet again.