Monday, January 16, 2006

Huntsville, Alabama

Well another wonderful excursion with Philip. We took off to Huntsville, Alabama this weekend for a visit to Philip's past. I must admit I was excited to be headed to see a place I have never been. We traveled up through Gadston and Atallia and then into Huntsville.


Philip had checked the weather and said it would be mild, but what do weathermen know I needed warmer attire first thing Saturday morning with temperatures hovering in the low 30's.


After a quick trip to Target and a pair of gloves and scarf, I was ready for an adventure. We met Philip's son Patrick and headed to the United States Space and Rocket Center.


I have visited Kennedy Space Center in central Florida and was looking forward to seeing how the two compared. I found Huntsville to be more of a tribute to the scientist Werner von Braun and although it had a large collection of rockets and engines and the like, I think it was a little smaller. But all in all it was a very enjoyable and educational tour.

We did go outside to see all the rockets and other super large space items on display and I nearly froze, Philip had no hat or gloves on but was quick to say; he was not cold...tough guy! We then went up Monte Sano to Burritt overlook and what an amazing view. I loved it! I found north Alabama to be a beautiful place, clean and somewhat on the high society side. It also appears to be a growing town with much ahead.

I think my trip to Philip's past was one of pure joy and fun. Thanks Philip for a wonderful time.